Box spring gives additional support to the mattress to keep it free from sagging. It also positing your mattress in a suitable height. As a result, you can able to sleep or rest on it more comfortably. Using box spring with mattresses is a common practice around the world.
But when you use slats with your bed then the equation is different. Today our topic is whether you put a box spring on top of slats. In that discussion, we try to clear your view on that point by giving a proper explanation.
In one sentence the answer to your question that you don’t require box spring when you have slats with your bed. To be honest, in recent time people try to avoid box spring for its various disturbances. They start to choose the alternatives for it. Slat is one of the recommendable substitutes of box spring. If you still want to put a box spring on top of slats then you should pick one which one’s height is very low.
Now come to the point, platform beds are attached with slates. You need to just place your mattress directly on it. Slats provide you the same or more facilities then the box spring. You can place any type of mattress such as latex, foam, etc. on it easily. Slats provide support to your mattress and ensure the durability of it.
Slats give you a comfortable position height. In our perspective, you don’t need height any more after using slats. Just think, if you use a box spring on top of slats; isn’t it look odd? By doing that your mattress will reach in too much height. You can’t sleep there blithely because it is always fair of falling and breaking bones. In our point of view, you don’t need to put a box spring on top of slats.
We feel that it’s our responsibility to provide you details information about slats. For this purpose, we point out some of the pros and cons of it. Below, we discuss them briefly which might help you to enrich the knowledge. Let’s start:
Pros of Slats
- Nicely decorated: A slats set always look very stylish. No matter that is made of wood or metal. Slats is also a traditional household object that we used with our bed. Slats change the look of your bed. Your bed looks well-trimmed and stylish if you use it.
- Ensure the long-lasting mattress: Slats help your mattress to serve in a long period. It removes pressure from the mattress and well-positioned it on the bed. Slats also give firm support that why your mattress doesn’t sag on one side.
- Durability: Slats are generally long-lasting able. You can easily use a slat set for over the years. Metal slats are long durable power then the wood made. So, if you want to buy for slats in long term use, we recommended buying metal made slats.
- Replaceable: It is good for you if there any parts of slat break down you don’t need to change the entire set of slats. Just repair that one. It saves you from too much cost.
- Inexpensive: Slats are not so much costly. You can able to buy a set of slats at a reasonable price. You don’t need to change it regularly because it has long-lasting capacity. The price of both wooden and metal slide is moderate.
- Save you from microbe: Slats has also a good hygiene value. It is excellent for your bodies. Slats have hard underneath which protect you from various type of body pain. It also saves you from many kinds of molds or bacteria by keeping your bed dry and free from moisture.
- Simple to set up and move: You don’t need to be panic to adjust a slat set with your bed. You can do it comfortably. The set of slats both wood and metal are not so heavy that you can easily move it according to your wish.
- Give you under bed space: We all always want to use the under space of bed. It is a necessity when we live in a small room. Slats are very much effective in that situation. It allows you to use the under space of the bed. Slats bed also available in the market which is so much serviceable and attractive.
Cons of slats
- Warp and sagging problem: If you are a wooden slat user and live in a damp status room then after a few days your slats set to warp and droop. Your bed or mattress starts to create a sagging problem soon. Metal slats also rust problems.
- Hampered your sleep comfort: Surface of slats is hard. If you sleep in a thin mattress then you feel the slats under your back. It is so much annoying lying on it. You don’t have a sound sleep there. You also cannot rest there comfortably.
- You get it unassembled: Most of the time you need to make your slat bed by own self. Though it is not so hard; you still need to give your time for doing that.
- You need to fit it: It is also a boring task for you. You also need to adjust slat set with bed by yourself. It is not so easy if you are a bumbling player for this task.
- Cheap slats are not durable: To enjoy the long durability of your slats set, you need to spend a standard amount of money. Cheap slats do not last too much. You also expend money if any part of the slats set is broken.
In conclusion, we must say that for the practical perspective there are not so differences between slats and box spring. You can use anyone in these two with your mattress. It’s all up to you. But it is not wise to put a spring box on top of slats.