10 Best Firm Mattress Topper Reviews for 2020
Last Updated on
The best firm mattress toppers are in great demand and there are a number of reasons why they are gaining popularity. These toppers are a great way to improve the way you sleep and help you to use an old mattress for more years without buying a new mattress.
However, not all firm mattress topper will add significant life to your sleeping surface. Therefore we have created the best topper list, reviews and guide for our readers, hopefully, this will help them get the right topper/pad on their mattress.
The Table of Contents
- 1 10 Best Firm Mattress Topper 2020 Comparison Table
- 2 Top 10 Firm Mattress Topper Reviews
- 2.1 AmericanMade 4” Firm Mattress Topper
- 2.2 AmericanMade 3” Firm Mattress Topper
- 2.3 2 Inch Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- 2.4 2” Pure Green Latex Mattress Topper – Medium Firmness
- 2.5 AmericanMade 5” Thick and Firm Mattress Topper
- 2.6 AmericanMade 2” Thick Mattress Topper
- 2.7 AmericanMade 4” Firm Foam RV/Truck Mattress Bed Cushion
- 2.8 Best Affordable Mattress Topper by Furinno
- 2.9 100% Natural Firm Latex Mattress Topper – 3″
- 2.10 Firm Foam Mattress Topper by Lull
- 3 What Is a Firm Mattress Topper?
- 4 What Is an Extra Firm Mattress Topper?
- 5 What Is Mattress Topper Firm Support?
- 6 What Do You Need To Check Before Buying?
- 7 Conclusion
10 Best Firm Mattress Topper 2020 Comparison Table
Top 10 Firm Mattress Topper Reviews
We are going to present our editor’s picks top 10 product list of best mattress topper for firmness below and after that, we are presenting the reviews of those products.
AmericanMade 4” Firm Mattress Topper
Why buy a new mattress to replace your old mattress with its sagging areas when you can buy the AmericanMade 4-inch thick polyurethane mattress topper? When it’s placed properly, it will instantly add more firmness and, thus, more support for your benefit. Be sure to cover it with the usual linens.
Keep in mind, however, that it may be a thick mattress topper but it’s just that – a mattress topper. If your old mattress has significant sagging and/or clumping, then you should just replace it. The mattress topper will add more firmness to your new mattress if you still want it.
This is also a good topper for people who have allergies or who want eco-friendly bed products, thanks to its PURGreen certification. You have the assurance that it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals, heavy metals, and flame retardants, among others.
But there’s a “new foam smell” to it when opened. You can air out the topper first before using it.
- Reasonable price
- Thick foam provides extra-firm support
- Suitable for all mattress types
- Too wide for a standard queen mattress
- May become softer after a few years
AmericanMade 3” Firm Mattress Topper
The 3-inch mattress topper firmer can be considered as a firm one, not an extra-firm topper. But it still does the job well in adding more firmness and, hence, more support to a softer mattress. The mattress’ softer quality may be due to its original construction or from old age.
The polyurethane foam may not be as supportive as latex foam but with its 3-inch thickness more than makes up for it. When you lie down on the topper, you will immediately feel its firmer surface and its more supportive aspect. Even when you move around, there’s little motion transfer.
Even when your partner moves around while sleeping, such as restless tossing and turning from insomnia, you will not feel his/her movements too much. This is also true if the situation is reversed.
- Instantly adds a firmer feel to a soft mattress (i.e., 33-pound compression)
- Feels cooler to the body than memory foam
- Lasts longer due to 3-inch thickness
- New foam smell when first opened
- May not be firm enough for some people
2 Inch Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This topper is one of the best thin firm mattress topper. As soon as it’s opened, the Sleep On topper is ready to place on top of an existing mattress. There’s no need to air it out, unlike memory foam, because it doesn’t have a chemical smell. This is an 2 inch latex mattress topper, the thickness also makes it easy to move, especially for cleaning and airing out.
Don’t be fooled by the 2-inch foam’s thinner thickness either – it has an impressive 44ILD firmness rating, one of the highest in our list. You can rely on it to deliver extra-firm support even when the mattress underneath it has become too soft for your own preference.
The firm latex mattress topper foam also doesn’t result in sleeping hot, a common complaint in many memory foam toppers. You don’t have to worry about allergens in it, too, because it’s hypoallergenic, as well as dust mite-resistant and antimicrobial.
- Adds an extra-supportive yet still comfortable sleeping surface
- No fumes, chemical smell and the like
- Easy to unpack
- Durable materials and build
- Maybe too thin for some people, especially those with sagging mattresses
2” Pure Green Latex Mattress Topper – Medium Firmness
This one is medium firm mattress topper. Many people want the support of a firm topper but don’t want it to be too firm as to be like hardwood or concrete. This pure green firm support mattress topper offers medium firmness, the right balance between a support and comfort for most average people’s needs.
You will not feel like you’re too much on top of your bed but you’re not going to sink into it either. You will feel supported from your head to your ankles due to its firm quality but your joints are also protected from too much firmness. The firmness level is 30ILD and this one is one of the best medium firm latex mattress topper.
- Made of hypoallergenic foam
- Medium firmness suitable for most people and most sleeping positions
- No assembly required
- May not be too firm for people who like extra-firmness
AmericanMade 5” Thick and Firm Mattress Topper
This 5-inch thick mattress topper is among the thickest of its kind in our list. Such thickness is useful for people who want an extra-firm and, thus, extra-supportive topper for their comparatively softer mattresses. But it isn’t suitable for people who have joint issues, such as arthritis.
By using it on your existing king-sized mattress, it can decrease the severity of the sagging areas and the number of soft spots in it. You can then have a more supportive mattress without spending for a brand-new one. You will love the polyurethane foam, too, because it doesn’t deflate easily even after years of regular use. If you want extra thick mattress topper, you may check this one.
- Made of safe, firm and durable 5-inch polyurethane foam
- No assembly needed
- Provides a great sleeping surface
- Can be heavy to move
- May have new mattress smell but it quickly dissipates
AmericanMade 2” Thick Mattress Topper
The 2-inch thickness of this queen-sized mattress topper allows it to be added to your existing bed setup without adding too much height. You can quickly place this thick mattress topper on top of your existing mattress – it’s lightweight – and keep it in place using the bottom sheet and mattress cover.
If you’re a stomach sleeper, you will appreciate its thinner height because you don’t sink too much into it, not to mention that it doesn’t get too hot after a few hours. But it’s also a great topper for pillow who like sleeping on their side or stomach since it still provides good support.
But the 2-inch thickness may not provide the desired level of firmness for people who want to sleep on extra-firm beds.
- Quick and easy to place on top of the mattress
- Provides medium-firm sleeping surface
- Doesn’t get too hot
- May not be suitable as an extra-firm topper
- Firmness level decreases after a year or so
AmericanMade 4” Firm Foam RV/Truck Mattress Bed Cushion
If you’re looking for a bed cushion for use in your recreational vehicle (RV), then you may want to consider this 4-inch polyurethane foam. Such is its thickness that you can place it on top of a mattress or a bed frame, perhaps even on the floor.
This is a polyurethane foam topper with a 33-pound compression. You will then have a firm mattress to sleep on but it isn’t as firm as people with scoliosis may like. You may find it more useful for reducing the stress on your pressure points, from your shoulder to your knees.
You can try it out for 30 days before you decide to buy it or not.
- Thick polyurethane topper can be used on most mattresses
- Durable quality
- Provides good support for average-sized people
- Comes with a 3-year warranty and 30-day trial period
- May lose its firm surface after a few years
Best Affordable Mattress Topper by Furinno
People looking for optimum breathability in a mattress topper will appreciate the gel-infused, ventilated design of the Furrino 2-inch topper. You should be able to sleep on it for eight hours or more without getting warmer as the hours pass, thanks to the cooling gel foam and vented holes.
Even with the slight odor when unpacking it, you shouldn’t be alarmed because it’s harmless to human health as well as dissipate in an hour or so. You may have to wait for several hours before the foam deflates to its fullest size.
As for its support and comfort, it may be thinner but it still delivers on these all-important aspects. Your body, particularly your back, will love the supportive surface, and your natural spinal alignment will be promoted.
- Cooler sleeping surface
- Easy to place on the mattress
- Supportive mattress
- The slight smell upon opening
- Takes hours to deflate fully
100% Natural Firm Latex Mattress Topper – 3″
The 100% natural Dunlop latex foam works so well for children and adults with allergies to standard foam materials. In fact, it’s a hypoallergenic foam with high resistance against mold, mildew and dust mites, which are the most common causes of allergies.
As an extra firm latex mattress toppers, it provides firm support, perhaps firmer than some people want. One of the best firmest mattress topper. The firmness level is 6 pounds per cubic feet (38ILD), the firmest offered by the company; a soft topper (19ILD) for side sleepers and a medium topper (30ILD) for a balance of support and comfort are also available.
You will find that it’s a firm topper that will make your existing mattress so much more supportive. When placed on top of your existing mattress, it may even add to its comfortable aspect without giving the plush feeling.
The 3-inch thickness of the topper also makes it an extra firm topper suitable for people with back pain issues.
- Hypoallergenic material
- Thick extra-firm topper
- Durable construction
- Easy to clean
- No cover
Firm Foam Mattress Topper by Lull
The 1.5-inch thickness of the foam is the thinnest in the list but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t provide the desired firm support. The high-quality polyurethane foam has sufficient density to make up for its thin height. When you place it on your existing mattress, you’re giving it an upgrade.
You can press the foam to test its give and bounce, often the best way to determine the firmness of a mattress topper. You will find that it has minimal give and bounce so it definitely makes an old mattress firmer than before.
You have to set realistic expectations, however, as it isn’t as firm as the other thicker toppers on our list. You should ideally place it on top of a mattress that still retains its near-brand new condition.
- Easy to carry and store
- Provides good firm support
- Comes with a breathable cover for a cooler sleeping experience
- Thin topper that may not work so well on older mattresses
What Is a Firm Mattress Topper?
A firm mattress topper is typically denser and thicker than the average pads, thus, it’s less soft and more supportive. Due to the density and thickness of the foam material, it can also be heavier than the standard pads.
The general rule is that the thicker and denser the topper is, the firmer it will be. Thus, a firm mattress topper will likely be two inches in thickness while extra-firm toppers are thicker.
When chosen correctly, a firm topper can provide the following benefits:
- Aids in relieving back pain since the topper makes an existing mattress firmer and, thus, more supportive. You will then have a sleeping surface that will keep your back as straight as possible.
- Adds to the comfortable feeling of an existing mattress. You can place it on top of your older mattress, which likely have sagging areas, for a quick and affordable upgrade. Your sleeping experience will be better for it because the topper evens out, literally, the clumps and sags in your old mattress.
But we must also emphasize that firm mattress toppers have their drawbacks so these aren’t for everybody. People who sleep on their sides and stomach and those who have joint-related issues (e.g., arthritis) shouldn’t use firm mattress toppers. These people will be better off with a more comfortable – or softer – mattress.
Why you should take a firm topper for mattress? The reason: A firm mattress topper will put more strain and stress on the pressure points and joints. Instead of relieving pain, it can worsen the symptoms, even cause new ones.
Manufacturers use several types of materials in making firm mattress topper, namely:
- Memory foam, a viscoelastic material developed by NASA for its aerospace program, is the most common material used because if its firm surface. The level of firmness, furthermore, will be affected by the density of the memory foam; the density for mattress toppers range from four to five per cubic feet. The higher the number, the firmer the mattress will likely be.
- Latex foam is a material known for its firmer surface than memory foam. This keeps the weight of the user within a localized area while providing a supportive surface, both of which are crucial in keeping the spine in its natural alignment.
- Polyurethane foam is the material used for traditional firm mattress toppers. This doesn’t have a plush feel, as well as suitable for people who have no specialized need for mattress support.
Your choice in the material will be determined by your budget, as well as your need for comfort and support.
What Is an Extra Firm Mattress Topper?
Many people want even firmer mattresses but don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new mattress. This is where an extra-firm mattress topper comes in.
Just like the firm memory pads, it provides its user with a more supportive sleeping surface without sacrificing too much on the comfort. It isn’t as hard as, say, sleeping on a wooden bed or on the floor since it’s still made of one of three of the abovementioned materials. But it definitely isn’t for people who like to sleep on soft mattresses with a plush feel!
The difference between a firm and an extra-firm mattress topper mainly lies in their thickness. The former usually has a thickness of just two inches while the latter can range from three to four inches.
Again, the thicker the topper, the firmer it will likely be although its actual density and type of material will also affect its firmness level. For example, a 3-inch memory foam topper may be firmer than a 3-inch latex foam topper if it has a higher density.
A 4-inch memory foam topper can be considered an extra-firm topper because it’s thicker than the 2-inch and 3-inch varieties. As such, it’s the best choice for a person weighing 250 pounds and up.
What Is Mattress Topper Firm Support?
Basically, it’s a mattress topper that makes a relatively old mattress firmer and, thus, more supportive. You may want it if your old mattress is already showing signs of wear and tear, such as sagging in the middle, but your budget doesn’t allow it yet.
What Do You Need To Check Before Buying?
A combination with firm topper for soft mattress can make you sleep well. Keep in mind that while firm mattress topper reviews are favorable, the toppers may not address your specific needs and wants in the product. You must then carefully consider whether a mattress topper with firm support is suitable for your lifestyle – and here are the features that must be considered.
Latex toppers are generally more expensive than memory toppers.
The Thickness and density
Thicker and denser toppers are suitable choices for people who like to sleep on their side, or who are on the heavy side, or who want to upgrade an aging mattress.
The Balance of support and comfort
The main purpose of a firm topper is to provide more support for people who cannot sleep well on softer mattresses, especially for health reasons. If possible, test the topper first in the store before making your decision. If not, ask about the return and exchange policy.
Remember, too, that comfort can also apply to the motion transfer, body heat transference, and allergy potential of the topper. Memory foam and latex foam toppers are popular because these have minimum motion transfer; a partner tossing and turning in his/her sleep will not make for significant sleep disturbance for the other.
But memory foam toppers can become too warm for some people’s liking while latex foam toppers are more likely to stay cool even after eight hours. Memory foam can also cause allergies for susceptible people due to their chemical smell after opening; just air for 72 hours to remove it.
Don’t forget to consider the ease of moving and cleaning the mattress topper, too. You have to consider whether it’s easy to move from and to the bed, as well as its ease of airing and possibly washing of the cover.
We have to emphasize that these firm mattress topper reviews are meant to be basic guides for making a smart choice in said product. In the end, you have to decide for your own which of these ten products will be the best firm mattress topper for mattress you are using.