How Long Does A Box Spring Last?
Last Updated on
A box spring is a base of the bed that comes in various designs and types. Generally, box springs come of fabric-covered, sturdy wooden frame with coils or internal springs in the market. They are also known as ‘divan’. We can place a box spring both top and the under of our mattresses’.
We can use box springs for a longer period. They are very durable. Most of the time box spring lasted longer than your mattresses. Averagely a box spring lasted around 8- 10 years. But you need to be careful about using a box spring in longer periods. You should avoid major defects like broken slats or sag for longer use.
In this article, we will discuss briefly every side of a box spring. Let’s start step by steps:
Purpose of a Box Spring?
According to the Better Sleep Council, box springs improve the conditions of mattresses by working as a base of it. The combination of box spring and your mattress creates a nice sleeping environment for you. A box spring has lots of purposes. Below we make a list about their different purposes:
- The general purpose of a box spring is to provide the mattress balance support.
- Box Spring helps the mattress to keep its shape for years to come.
- Provide underlying support for the mattress.
- Raise the mattress to a more comfortable height and makes it easier to get in and out of bed.
- Protect the mattress by absorbing impact and reduce the wear of the mattress.
- Improve airflow that helps to keep the mattress cooler.
- Provide extra support to the sleepers and help to align their body parts properly.
- Box spring creates a flat, strong, and firm structure surface for the mattress to sit on and lie upon.
- Box spring reduces the motion transfer rate that makes the couple sleep more comfortable.
Design and Types of Box Springs
High profile and low-profile designed box springs are commonly sold in the market. The standard height of high-profile box springs is 9- inches and the low- profile box springs are 5 to 5.5 inches in height. Nowadays, medium profile box springs also become popular among the people. They are generally are 6 to 8.5 inches in height. Now, we discuss different types of box springs below:
Coil Box Springs
These box springs are specially designed for the innerspring mattresses but they are also suitable to use with modern mattresses. Coil box springs are made from wooden frames and coils.
Zero-Deflection Box Springs:
These box springs are more worthy to use with modern mattresses. They are capable to provide strong support to the modern mattresses. Zero- deflection box springs are made with wooden slats and have some wires that make it more supportive and durable.
Semi-Flex Box Springs
Semi- flexbox springs are usually used with memory foam, latex, and other heavier mattresses because of their pressure tolerance capability. Semi- flexbox springs are very supportive and flexible for use.
Split Box Springs
The two halves of spilled box spring make it easier to move. Generally, we used them in tight corners of the mattress.
Box Spring for Different Sizes mattresses
You need to have proper knowledge about the accurate dimensions of box spring. In the market, there are different dimensions of box springs are available for the different sizes of mattresses. Among all of these sizes, you need to choose the right size box spring for your mattress. Generally, mattress requires the same size box spring to fit well. So, it is essential for you to know about the size dimensions of different sizes of mattresses. This knowledge will be helpful when you go for purchasing a box spring. For that reason, below we make a table that contains a general size chart of different types of mattress:
|Mattress Size||Dimensions Inches (Width x Length)|
|Twin||39W” x 75L”|
|Twin XL||39W” x 75L”|
|Full/ Double||54W” x 75L”|
|Queen||60W” x 80L”|
|King||76W” x 80L”|
|California King||72W” x 84L”|
On the basis of this chart, you can easily purchase the right sizes’ box spring for your mattress.
Use of Box Spring
The use of box spring with mattress completely depends on you. Here we try to give a general view of the uses of box spring. We make a list that who should use it or who can leave it:
You should use box spring if
- Those have a traditional metal rail bed frame. Specially cradle box spring designed frames.
- Those innerspring mattresses are designed for use with a box spring.
- These mattresses are specially manufactured for use with box spring.
- Those sleepers like extra height for sleep.
- Sleeper prefers to add bounce of a box spring.
- Some mattresses’ warranty requires box spring.
You can leave box spring if:
- Those who already installed any of the alternatives of box spring.
- Not necessary to use a box spring with newly purchase latex, memory foam, or hybrid mattresses.
- Those who have a platform bed, foundation, or bed base.
- Those who like to sleep directly on the floor.
Box Spring Pros and Cons
Now we uphold the pros and cons of box spring:
- Allows the user to get on and off the bed more easily.
- Extended mattress lifespan.
- Gives you extra height.
- Absorbs body weight better than its alternatives.
- Prevents mattress sagging issues.
- More traditional for those who like that kind of decor.
- Add more support to the mattress.
- Need to rotate them regularly.
- They cost extra money.
- Lose support over some time.
- Little to no room for storage under the bed.
- Offer no air circulation for the mattress.
We are very sure that our article will be able to give you accurate information about the lifespan of box spring and also the details hope it. We hope it will be helpful in your practical life.