How to Sleep On The Floor Properly
Have you ever wondered what your great-grandparents slept on at night? I mean!? They lived when there was no memory foams, no latex mattresses and all the bed luxuries we enjoy today. Most of our great-grandparents lived long and didn’t die from not sleeping on cushion foams. They mostly slept on the floor. In this article, I will discuss how to sleep on the floor properly so you can try yourself.
Sleeping on the floor isn’t as bad as it sounds if it’s done properly
In fact, studies by Katy Bowman, M.S shows that not sleeping on the floor is the reason some people wake up with aches and pains in their bodies. Katy Bowman, M.S. further reveals that our body muscles and structures ought to be allowed to move freely and this is exactly the opposite when we sleep on those deluxe mattresses. They keep your body in a single position for long.
In the next 2 sections, I would highlight the benefits of sleeping on the floor and how to do it properly.
Before moving forward, I would like to share some product, that can help you to sleep on the floor properly. Please check them below.
- Better Habitat [New] SleepReady Memory Foam Floor Mattress (75 x 36 x 3). [Roll Out, Portable Sleeping pad w/Waterproof Cotton Terry Cover & Travel Bag]-66%DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress, Full Size, BlackEMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress Classe Igusa (Rush Grass) Tatami Mattress, Twin Size. Made in Japan-33%SNAILAX Massage Mat with Heat, Memory Foam,6 Therapy Heating pad,10 Vibration Motors Massage Mattress Pad, Full Body Massager Cushion Relieve Neck, Back, Waist, Legs Pain SL363MTOPLUS Yoga Mat, 1/4 inch Pro Yoga Mat TPE Eco Friendly Non Slip Fitness Exercise Mat with Carrying Strap-Workout Mat for Yoga, Pilates and Floor Exercises(Purple)AmazonBasics 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Exercise Mat with Carrying Strap, Green
The above product information is showing from Amazon through Amazon API and updated today.
Benefits of Sleeping On The Floor
Sleeping on the floor is too hard. Before we start that, we need to know the benefits and that can increase our passion.
- Sleeping on the floor helps to keep your bones in alignment, unlike the sinking feeling you might get on your luxurious mattress.
- Reduces pain in your body, especially your back.
- It makes you feel more rested and very ready to wake up.
- Can help to correct a slouchy posture.
The transition to sleeping on the floor from the cushioned mattress can be quite inconvenient for some.
Even if you’re not planning to sleep on the floor, you can have situations where you’d have to sleep the natural way.
However, if you follow the steps below, you can be sure that it would be a good experience.
How To Sleep on The Floor Properly
There are a few steps you can take to sleep on the floor, I am describing them below:
Firstly, you have to prepare in your mind.
You have to settle it mentally, why you’re doing, what you’re doing and why it’s the right thing to do. This is an important part of having a good time sleeping on the floor since you weren’t forced, you have to make yourself see the reason to keep at it.
Also, be ready to persevere in the first couple of days of sleeping on the floor. Your lifestyle of sleeping on a comfortable mattress is going to resist this, that’s why you have to persevere. Most of the people stop after a few days so you have to keep your passion.
Get a Sleeping Surface
Sleeping on the floor doesn’t mean sleeping on the bare ground, you can use a sleeping surface.
A sleeping surface refers to what you directly put on the floor and lay on. Example includes:
You can also improvise by using:
- Layers of blankets
- Homemade Pillow bed
Any of these can be a good option to use on the floor. They provide some level of comfort, though not like the king beds.
Best Position for Sleeping On The Floor
Generally, people find it most comfortable sleeping with their backs on the floor. This is not a bad sleeping position at all when you sleep on your back, those aches you feel vanishes easily. However, other sleeping positions also work well when you sleep on the floor.
Sleeping on your side with your arm as your pillow is a good position as well. Your vertebrae align well when you sleep.
Sleep on your stomach with your elbow pushed out and your forearms a pillow helps to correct your spine.
All these said nothing bad sleeping like your great-grandparents did. You get to feel well rested and ready to leave the bed and reduce the risks of body aches.
You can also watch the following video for more information.